Thursday, October 29, 2009

Happy Birthday, Tito Boy!


I opened the radio and tuned in to Monster Radio RX 93.1. It was almost 9pm and my favorite radio program would start at any minute. It was 1996, Thursday. I forgot the name of the program and the DJ. Our landline phone rang. My friend called me but I barely understood what he was saying.

I was missing the topic and the name of the guests, I thought. After my friend and I talked, I noticed that it was already 9:20pm. I ran and went upstairs back to my room.

I heard a male voice opposite the DJ's. I couldn't remember exactly their topic during that very night but I, somehow, was enthralled with the man's intelligence. He seemed so knowledgeable with all the topics and questions the DJ was throwing at him. I was captivated by his wit and wisdom and the way he spoke. I didn't seem to remember any of the topics or what he was saying...I was just simply mesmerized by his confidence when he spoke. He was so articulate. I was captivated! I have to know this man, at least, his name.

"Thank you, Boy!", the DJ said, he was wrapping up the show. I was kinda irritated why the DJ would addressed his guest as "boy". I knew he's a man but I wanted to know his name, I thought.

"Mr. Boy Abunda, Ladies and Gentleman!"

Instantly, my brain cells clung to his name. I didn't understand why, but there were like tens of guests the show had but this was the only time that I decided to know and be a fan of this person. I didn't know if I would hear or see him again. I just decided to at least remember his name...Boy Abunda.

Months passed, I was sitting on the couch in our living room, it was late at night. I was channel surfing and accidentally tuned in to R.S.V.P. - it was their show finale. At the last part of the program, the hosts bid farewell to their audience. A familiar voice reverberated. I froze. It sounded familiar. My eyes squinted just to make out the man's profile. The man was bald. He was eloquent. I smiled. It was Boy Abunda.

From then on, I would tune in to GMA 7 just to see him in Startalk. I was shocked but delighted when I heard that he was transferring to ABS-CBN. This is the moment when I told myself that Boy Abunda had already made his mark and the rest is history. He is now the "Philippines' King of Talk".

Happy Birthday, Tito Boy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment