Saturday, October 31, 2009

Across the Universe - FlashForward Episode 6


In its sixth episode, I'd say I became a fan of this TV show. It's the new Lost, or maybe even better. And Charlie of Lost was even there too but this time he's one of the antagonists. I was surprised when at the latter part of the show, Rufus Wainwright's version of Across the Universe was played.

I became familiar of this song when one of my closest friends introduced it to me. He would even sing it while he was in a very cool state of mind. He would sing it raw but with so much emotion. He was just there sitting in front of the computer monitor reading the lyrics though he already knew it. His eyes maybe be fixated on the screen but I could feel the depth of his sentiments.

"Pools of sorrow waves of joy
are drifting through my open mind
Possessing and caressing me..."

There was an instance when he mentioned that he would always sing this song while he was under the bed of his sick mother. Several months later his mom died. He was only 16.

"Images of broken light which
dance before me like a million eyes
That call me on and on across the universe
Thoughts meander like a
restless wind inside a letter box
they tumble blindly as
they make their way across the universe"

I remember one time when he asked me what do I think of the song. I told him that I could barely appreciate it since I only listen to R & B and Hip-Hop music. Little did he know that when I'm in the confines of my room, I would listen to it. There is so much drama with its melody or maybe because I could see him under his mother's death bed singing this song...that at the tender age of 16 he lost his mom...and he and his siblings have to part and live separately with their respective relatives in order to survive. At an early age, he had to work so that he could support his studies.

He is a fighter. A survivor of life. He became a friend. I look up to him as my older brother even though we're just of the same age (I'm even almost 2 months older). Perhaps because he's more experienced in life and somehow have affected and inluenced me in several ways. He's the only person in my circle of friends who has the nerve to stand up and tell me that I'm wrong. Oh, sometimes he could be so irritating...he really has the nerve to just tell me anything. But no matter he's done or I've done wrong, no matter how we hate each other, it would always boil down to having lunch together and listening to...


0 comments:

Post a Comment