Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Life as a Motion Designer


I was packing my things and made sure that everything I needed was all in my bag - my laptop, charger, DVD recordable, ballpen and even marker. I just have to make sure that all is packed so that just in case my client called me or emailed the revisions then I have all the things I needed. My friends and I decided to meet in one of my friend's condo. Fortunately, she has wifi. When I came to her place, my friend told me that she just came from vacation and she really enjoyed water rafting. She showed me a video where she and her friends were rafting. It was really exhilarating. I enjoyed watching it. She asked me for advice on how to edit her videos since she has a couple of video clips and she wanted to make a music video.

I got my macbook pro and gave her an overview of video editing. I also showed them some of my current projects which include a TV plug (I can't show the TV plug since it's not yet shown in Dubai, bawal ata yun) to be shown in Dubai, I think it would be shown at Pinoy TV - a rock festival concert which includes bands like the Dawn, Rico Blanco, the Pupil and many other foreign artists on November 13. I also showed them a finished AVP for DOLE (shown below, just the intro). Instantly, they loved the animation which, by the way, correctly called as motion graphics. Now, people whose profession is to animate graphics are called motion designers. Some would call it as motion graphics artists, digital designers, etc. But now, in the digital design world, it is rightfully termed as motion designer.



They asked me how did I learned all those stuffs since six years ago we were all from the same field and company - we're all technical support engineers or commonly known as call center agents. It's simple, I got bored and tired of the same shitz...I love the movies and everything that goes with it - the magic of movie making including the special effects, visual effects and motion graphics. But it is in motion graphics that I fell in love with. And yes, even the entertainment and showbiz world! No, I'm not a Fine Arts graduate. In fact, I'm a licensed ECE (Electronics and Communications Engineer).

At first, it was just a hobby. I edited videos of my colleagues' birthday or their wedding. Then suddenly I wanna learn more not just editing. I was fascinated by the opening title sequences in the movies. Later I learned that it was called motion graphics. I researched on the tools or softwares needed on how to create those animations. Since my usual shift back then was graveyard and I hardly fell asleep during daytime (imagine I only had 3-4 hours of sleep), during those sleepless hours, I bought books and studied motion graphics. I also tried tutorials in the web.

After about two years in call center, I had enough! I quit without knowing what would happen next. I just wanted some peace of mind and I wanted to shift my career - something I love doing. But what? I knew that TV stations wouldn't hire me as video editor or motion graphics artist, I wasn't a Fine art graduate and all my work experiences were more of technical in nature. I didn't know anyone from such field. Though I have a feeling before that my sample works were even better from the ones I saw in ABS-CBN or GMA (ang kapal di ba hehehe)...well not all naman, yung iilan lang...Until I decided to go back in the province and unwind.

After a month, I went back here in Manila and a friend of mine forwarded an email. It was a job ad for motion graphics designer in one of the largest networks in the country. Sabi nya, I should try daw kasi nga mahilig din lang ako sa video editing e i-try ko na...there's no harm naman in trying. And so I did.

To make the story short, I emailed and they responded. I showed them my portfolio and they liked it. I got in. I still remember the first time I saw my work on air. I nearly cried. It was also my dream to create a music video, a TVC, an opening title sequence and see my name at the closing credit of a movie. Everything happened and it was sheer happiness. Just priceless. It was way too far from being a technical support or a call center agent. It's just more rewarding and you would actually see people appreciating your work. When I was in college, I often dreamt of myself in a boardroom full of creative people brainstorming. And it came true, it was really an awesome feeling especially after those sleepless nights of meeting a deadline of a TVC and you see your work on air, seeing it on television with your friends and family. Again, the feeling is just priceless.

I wanted to share to you my website of all my works but I'm in the process of updating it. I will post it here soon. Before, my main reason in blogging is to share my experiences when I went abroad (Dubai) to seek for greener pasture after I resigned from my work as motion designer. It was a funny experience though - from my departure here in Manila to working in UAE. You will also learn a great deal once you've read it. I will post it soon. Should you have any comments, please do so. You can also send me an email if you have questions regarding this matter or just about anything. Problems or career advice? Send me an email as long as you think we're on the same phase.

0 comments:

Post a Comment